COZY CONURES!

COZY CONURES!
Google

Thursday, August 16, 2007

What are you feeding your bird???

Every morning I wake up and prepare a nice breakfast for my feathered friends. I have found that smaller hookbills like my budgies and cockatiels prefer things like cucumber, fresh greens, and when breeding, hard boiled egg.



My medium sized birds (the conures) always seem to be drawn more to the sweet foods like raisins, apples, bell peppers, tomato, and sliced grapes.


Here you can see two of my conures' favorite food items, red bell peppers and sliced apples!




Occasionally I will dust the fresh foods with a vitamin powder to make sure they are getting the proper nutrients and enough calcium.



I thought I would list some food items NOT to give to your birds, These items can cause DEATH!


1. Chocolate
2. Apple Seeds
3. Avocado
4. Onions
5. Alcohol
6. Mushrooms
7. Tomato Leaves(Do not let your birds eat anything on a tomato that is green, including the stem!)
8. Salt
9. Caffiene
10. Dried Beans



Here are some toxic plants that may be around your house! (I have gathered these plant names from several different resources)


1.Holly berries and American mistletoe berries
2.Peanuts (contain a type of fungal toxin)
3.Rhubarb leaves
4.Stone fruit: the seeds of plums, peaches, apricots, and nectarines contain cyanide
5.Sweet Pea
6.Tobacco
7.Nutmeg




I hope this helps everyone!



No comments: